Two types of employment are possible. One is based on need, and one is for practical experience. A Social Security card is required for any employment. Cards may be obtained at the Social Security Office in downtown Asheville. You are required to go to the office in person. Take your passport and your I-94 and a copy of a letter from the International Student Advisor with you. There you will complete an application, and they will send you a card in a few weeks.

General Employment

On Campus Employment

Immigration permission is not required to work on campus.  A maximum of 20 hours a week is allowed if the student is in good academic standing. (International students may work up to 40 hours/week during scheduled breaks).  All student who wish to get a job on campus must get a social security number from the U.S. government.
F-1 Students see Robert Straub when looking for employment. J-1 Students see Diane Royer when look for employment.

Note: You must wait two weeks before applying for a Social Security Card.

Off Campus Employment

Off Campus Employment is not allowed without permission from the Department of Homeland Security.  F-1 Students should contact the Admissions office and J-1 Students should See Bonnie Parker in the Study Abroad office.

Optional Practical Training

INS regulations allow, under certain conditions, a student to have a period of practical work experience after their studies in the U.S.  For more information contact the Admissions office.


Income Tax

Nonresident Aliens--Most students are classified as nonresidents for tax purposes.  Nonresident Aliens MUST file form 1040NR. All foreign students on an 'F', 'J', or 'M' Visa are considered engaged in a trade (student) and must file these forms -- even if they have no income from U.S. sources. 

Forms are available here from the I.R.S.B. Look for form 1040 NR EZ and the Instructions. Completed forms should be sent to the Internal Revenue Service Center, Philadelphia, PA 19255.

All tax forms are due by April 15 of each year.

Non-resident Aliens are also required to fill out NC State tax forms if they have worked. The office of International Student Services does not have the resources to help you with NC State Tax forms.

Resident Aliens are taxed the same as U.S. citizens.

Social Security Tax

Students on F and J visas are usually exempt from paying Social Security Tax. If you work, you should complete the required forms for this exemption with your employer.